Monday, October 6, 2008

Marriage is a Good Thing!


"He who finds a wife finds what is good and receives favor from the LORD." (Proverbs 18:22)

I have to admit. I am a blessed man. I married way above my head and the only explanation that I have for it is that God has most definitely been good to me. Last week, Amy and I celebrated 5 years of marriage. It has been the most wonderful period of my entire life. Amy has given me 2 wonderful children and is an incredible mother. She is also a great friend.

We live in a culture that discourages marriage. Even more, our culture downright belittles marriage. Watched an episode of "Everybody Loves Raymond" lately? Watched an episode of "Desperate Housewives" lately? I think we get the point. Downgrading the role of husband/father to a whining, lazy joke for target practice from the other members of the family. Downgrading the union of marriage to an on again/off again, deceptive relationship of lust and selfishness. Do we really believe all this? Really? Statistics say we do. No reference is needed here.

God ordained marriage. Marriage is a good thing. Scripture doesn't teach us to avoid marriage at all costs. Rather, it encourages us to seek a spouse. It teaches of marriage as "favor from the Lord." The 21st Century single Christian has great challenges ahead of him/her, especially in light of cultural persuasion. Most young men/women delay marriage and make 100 million different mistakes before they find out that the "cultural" way of doing things just leads them to feel unfulfilled and empty. Often times this period of self-realization is severely detrimental to these wide-eyed youngsters. I know, I was one of them.

But marriage shouldn't be discouraged. Rather, it should be embraced and sought after. God intended it to be this way--unless, of course, you are given the gift of singleness (if so, singleness is a gift that is only meant to be embraced in complete service to the Lord). Singleness is the exception, not the rule. God intended for a man and a woman to be united into a one-flesh relationship. Outside of this, our culture formatting relationships can only be justified by relativism and self-controlled autonomy--a justifier often only as stable as an individuals emotional outlook. I prefer to have God's blessing. I prefer to find God's favor.

I am glad that I found Amy. I am glad that the Lord has shown His favor. I am glad that I have found such a wonderful, GOOD thing!

He who FINDS a wife finds a good thing.

God Bless.

1 comment:

Denise&Buddy said...

I so agree with you Ross. Buddy and I have been together 21 years and have been through so much together, yet our love and commitment remain strong, and our friendship grows every day. He is my gift from God, though I sometimes feel he got the short end of the stick with all my illnesses and all. I can't imagine a life without my best friend. Love you. Denise